When we’re little, we don’t know anything different than how we’ve been raised so for a lot of us, until we grow up and get into 12-step recovery programs, we don’t understand that what we endured as children was abusive and dysfunctional. Until we realize this and no longer adhere to the rigid beliefs we were taught as children, we remain stuck in this loop of dysfunction. This week’s episode 186 of the Fragmented to Whole Podcast is part 2 of the origins and effects of adult child trauma.
Support the show by becoming a Patreon member!
In this episode of the Fragmented to Whole Podcast, I’m sharing more excerpts from the book Adult Children of Alcoholics, affectionately known as the “big red book,” and sharing the wisdom i’ve gained through my own journey on how you can begin putting the puzzle pieces together yourself and healing your inner child.
Listen back to part one of this episode to hear more excerpts from the book and more about my journey and perspective of understanding adult child trauma.
The excerpts I cover in part 2 of this episode include:
- The underlying terror we hold for the consequences of disobeying the rigid beliefs we’ve been taught.
- Believing we are inadequate of giving and undeserving of receiving love and making this unworthiness the definition of who we are.
- Dysfunction leading to feeling powerless and alienated.
- Diving into the feeling and unfeeling self to protect ourselves from the disorienting effects of living with confusion and pain.
- Making a change by believing change is possible and challenging the authority that our addiction has over us.
- Finding unity and mutual support through the group aspect of 12-step recovery to fight against the effects of abuse by authority.
We are all beloved children of God. We are all deserving of love from God, from other human beings, and from our families. We didn’t get that love from our families because they weren’t capable of giving it to us, not because we were undeserving of receiving it. Be sure to tune in to all the episodes to receive tons of practical tips on living a more whole life and to hear even more about the points outlined above.
Thank you for listening! If you enjoyed this episode, take a screenshot of the episode to post in your stories and tag me! And don’t forget to follow, rate and review the podcast and tell me your key takeaways!
LINKS MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Ep. 8. My Tools of Recovery Part I: Pausing
Ep. 21. Isolation vs Healthy Alone Time
CONNECT WITH BARB NANGLE:
“6 Weeks to Better Boundaries with Barb” online course BetterBoundarieswithBarb.com
Find this helpful? Share with a friend:
Like what you've read and heard?
Try subscribing to my monthly newsletter, "Happy, Joyous and Free."
It will help you change your dysfunctional patterns of behavior.
Want to chat with me about your boundaries? Hop onto my calendar here for a free 30-minute Better Boundaries call.