I spent so much of my life searching for something and didn’t know what I was searching for until I found it in recovery. That’s right, these realizations never once came up in the 37 years of therapy, self-help, and self-discovery work I did before going into recovery. And THAT is why carrying the message of recovery is so important to me. This week’s episode 187 of the Fragmented to Whole Podcast is about the 41 things I didn’t know before recovery that completely changed my life.
Support the show by becoming a Patreon member!
In this episode of the Fragmented to Whole Podcast, I’m sharing a list of things that I genuinely did not know about myself, the world, and the way things worked until I found them through my recovery journey.
Some of those 41 things are:
- I was in serious denial about a ton of stuff (much of which I will be listing here).
- I could ask for help and accept that help when given.
- Pausing is a thing & how to practice it!
- I didn’t have to be in charge of everything.
- I didn’t have any integrity, boundaries, or honesty.
- What life on life’s terms meant.
- When I am late because I forgot to set the alarm or knock something over and spill it, I don’t have to be upset.
- I had victim mentality and, therefore, blamed everyone and the world for everything.
- I had a ton of grief that needed to be processed.
- I had a lot of “shoulds” and wasn’t accepting what was actually happening, i.e. reality.
- I had a sense of urgency at all times.
- I thought I was responsible for all the good stuff in my previous romantic relationships and my partners were responsible for all of the bad stuff.
- Accepting things that seemed previously unacceptable was possible.
I understand that recovery is not for everybody but I believe that regardless of the want or need for recovery, we can all benefit from the wisdom that comes from it. Be sure to tune in to all the episodes to receive tons of practical tips on living a more whole life and to hear even more about the points outlined above.
Thank you for listening! If you enjoyed this episode, take a screenshot of the episode to post in your stories and tag me! And don’t forget to follow, rate and review the podcast and tell me your key takeaways!
CONNECT WITH BARB NANGLE:
Like what you've read and heard?
Try subscribing to my monthly newsletter, "Happy, Joyous and Free."
It will help you change your dysfunctional patterns of behavior.
Want to chat with me about your boundaries? Hop onto my calendar here for a free 30-minute Better Boundaries call.